RJ City Hall intends to start boosting the vaccine against

The City of Rio de Janeiro intends to start the application of the third dose of the vaccine against covid-19 in the elderly from September. The decision is based on the recommendation of the scientific committee of the city published in the Official Gazette on Tuesday (24).

Also read: What do we know about the need for the third dose of vaccine? The Bem Viver Program responds

At the meeting in which the experts gave the approval for the third dose, the indication was that the new stage be started as soon as possible. Also, the dose should be applied regardless of the vaccination schedule already carried out, with Pfizer or AstraZeneca.

The city’s idea is to distribute the new reinforcement in a staggered manner to all people aged 60 years and over, in a process that should start with nursing homes and rest homes and is expected to last until November, according to information found by the newspaper Extra.

In the recommendation, the committee also suggested to the city to send an official letter to the Ministry of Health so that the folder can plan for the delivery of booster doses. The possibility of the city to order vaccines directly with the producing institutes to guarantee the execution of the proposal is not ruled out, but beforehand the municipal Health Department will talk with the federal government to find out if the measure is really necessary.

third dose in debate

On Wednesday of last week (18), the minister of Health, Marcelo Queiroga, stated that if the strengthening of immunization is established in the country, the campaign will start with the elderly and health professionals. Queiroga considered that the decision still depends on scientific studies and, most importantly, on the availability of doses.

A day later, on Thursday (19), the extraordinary secretary for the fight against covid-19, Rosana Leite de Melo, told the press that the government has the necessary amount to reinforce immunization among the elderly. The idea would be to start applications in September and leave children and teenagers for the future.

In the rest of the world, decisions are already being taken to bring the population to boost the vaccine. In Israel the application has been going on since the beginning of the month. The United States set the start of revaccination for September. In Latin America, Chile, Uruguay and Colombia have also taken decisions in this regard.

On the other hand, the World Health Organization (WHO) is concerned about the lack of vaccines in the world. The organization criticized the rush of countries with greater economic power to make the third dose available.

On Wednesday (18), the organization’s chief scientist, Soumya Swaminathan, said there are ethical and moral issues in administering the reinforcement in these nations “while the rest of the world awaits its first injection.”

Source: BoF Rio de Janeiro

Edition: Mariana Pitasse

Deixe um comentário

O seu endereço de e-mail não será publicado. Campos obrigatórios são marcados com *