Several events were organized by the City of Rio this year as part of the “Novembro Negro Rio 2021” program. Below, you can see the main activities in honor of Zumbi dos Palmares, leader of the black resistance during the slave regime and assassinated on November 20, 1695.
Also read: Article | Who are the black intellectuals whitened by history
The date was established in the 1970s to encourage reflection on racial equality, equality of rights and the inclusion of minorities in the most diverse social sectors.
– Conversation Circles “Negro no Samba”, 2 pm
Church of Nossa Senhora do Rosário and São Benedito dos Homens Pretos – R. Uruguaiana, 77 – Center.
– Debate: Structural Racism, 9 am
Av. Pedro II, nº 111 – São Cristóvão
With Father Edmar Augusto Costa (Rector of Nossa Senhora do Rosário Church and São Benedito dos Homens Pretos), Humberto Adami Santos Júnior (President of the National Commission for the Truth of Black Slavery of the Federal Council of the Brazilian Bar Association) and Jorge Adolfo Freire and Silva (Executive Coordinator of the Executive Coordination for the Promotion of Racial Equality).
– Ruth de Souza Theater Opening, 6 pm
Ruins Park: Rua Murtinho Nobre 169, Santa Teresa.
– Jongo’s Wheel, 2:30 pm
Praça das Mães – Madureira.
– Homage to Zumbi dos Palmares, 9 am
São Sebastião Administrative Center – R. Afonso Cavalcanti, 455 – Cidade Nova
Homage to Zumbi and the National Day of Black Consciousness with cultural and artistic presentations and an Afro-entrepreneurship fair.
– Afro Rena Fair, 4 pm to 10 pm
Creative economy fair of Afro-Brazilian culture with crafts, fashion, gastronomy and beauty. Admission is free.
Clube Renascença, Rua Barão de São Francisco, 54 – Andaraí.
– Funk DJ Vinyl: Rivalzinho, 9pm
Rivalzinho – Rua Álvaro Alvim s/nº. Cinelandia.
– Historical and Archaeological Circuit of the Celebration of African Heritage, in the Port Region of Rio.
Composed of places reminiscent of the lives of Africans and their descendants, such as Cais do Valongo and Imperatriz, Pretos Novos Research and Memory Institute (IPN) – Pretos Novos Cemetery, Largo do Depósito, Valongo Suspension Garden, Pedra do Sal and José Bonifácio Cultural Center – Museum of Afro-Brazilian History and Culture – MUHCAB (former school in the Parish of Santa Rita).
More information on the Instituto dos Pretos Novos (IPN) website.
– Indigenous, Afro-Brazilian and Arabic astronomy course, 10 am
Planetarium of Rio – Vice-Governor Rubens Berardo Street, 100 – Gávea
More information: Instagram @planetariodorio
– Cultural Fair at the Arena Fernando Torres (Parque Madureira), 9 am to 6 pm
Arena Fernando Torres (Parque Madureira).
– Maracatu with Baque Mulher, 10 am
Monument to Zumbi – Avenida Presidente Vargas, 4, Cidade Nova.
– Roda de Samba in celebration of black conscience, 1pm
Zumbi dos Palmares Square, Father Miguel
Event organized by the cultural group Terreiro de Crioulo.
– Ballet Charm of the Flying Saucer by Marshal Hermes, 7pm
Planetarium of Gávea.
– Baile Charme (Madureira Viaduct), 9 pm
– Procession of the Black Consciousness, 11 am
Parade in procession from Praça Marechal Âncora to the Museum of Afro-Brazilian History and Culture (MUHCAB), as a symbol of its reopening and delivery to the Rio population.
Praça Marechal Âncora to MUHCAB, passing by Rua Primeiro de Março, Rua Marechal Floriano, Av. Rio Branco, Praça Mauá, Rua Sacadura Cabral, Rua Pedro Ernesto.
– Opening of the temporary exhibition of part of the Museu do Negro, 1:00 pm
Church of Nossa Senhora do Rosário and São Benedito dos Homens Pretos.
Source: BoF Rio de Janeiro
Edition: Mariana Pitasse