Minister Ricardo Lewandowski, of the Federal Supreme Court (STF), decided this Tuesday (21), that states and municipalities can evaluate on their own the continuity of vaccination of adolescents over 12 years, provided that the guidelines of the manufacturers, medical authorities and the National Health Surveillance Agency (Anvisa).
Last Thursday (16), the Ministry of Health (MS) no longer recommends the immunization of adolescents aged between 12 and 17 years without comorbidities. The positioning of the folder contradicts what was approved by Anvisa, a technical body linked to the federal administration, which since June released Pfizer’s vaccine for the segment.
::Article | Unvaccinated children and adolescents can become the niche for new variants::
The ministry’s decision generated a series of reactions, both from experts and political groups. Lewandowski’s decision is a response to a lawsuit filed by the opposition parties PT, PSB, PSOL, PCdoB and Cidadania, which questioned the measure.
In the preliminary injunction, the magistrate pointed out that the MS’s decision is not based on scientific, academic and technical evidence approved by recognized organizations in the area.
The minister also mentioned positions expressed by renowned entities that asked for the reconsideration of the measure, such as the Brazilian Society of Infectious Diseases, the Brazilian Society of Immunizations and the National Health Council.
“The 1988 Constitution gave absolute priority to the right to health, life and education of children, adolescents and young people, pursuant to article 227, so that this postulate must necessarily be taken into account in the public policy on immunization against covid-19”, added the minister, mentioning the return to in-person classes.
Lewandowski also said that states, municipalities and the Federal District have competence concurrent with the Union in matters that refer to the containment of the pandemic, as had already been decided by the Court last year.
::Decision to suspend vaccination among adolescents was contributed by Bolsonaro, says Queiroga::
Edition: Vinícius Segalla