This Saturday (2), the Carandiru Massacre turns 29 years old and, so far, has not been sentenced for 111 deaths. The scenario, however, may change soon, as the case is about to be taken to the Supreme Court (STF), after the 5th Panel of the Superior Court of Justice (STJ) did not recognize the decision of the Court of Justice of São Paulo (TJ-SP) to annul the judgment held in 2014.
In September 2016 the TJ-SP concluded that there are not enough elements to verify which crimes were committed by each of the 74 security agents during the massacre. In September of this year, the STJ did not recognize the conclusion, and the defense of the police guaranteed that it would take the case to the STF.
:: Article | Carandiru is not a thing of the past: what was an exception has become a rule ::
Amid impunity, after 29 years the case still transcends the prison system and offers subsidies for a broader debate on the recurrent genocide caused by the Brazilian State against poor populations.
“I looked through the window and down there were already several police officers shooting and, in fact, murdering people,” says Sidney Salles, survivor of the massacre, who narrates the saga of the prisoners who inhabited Pavilion 9 of Carandiru on that October 2nd.
“I remember October 1st more than October 2nd. We were organized, in our routine, as everything should continue”, also remembers Kric Cruz, rapper and survivor of the Carandiru Massacre. “It was all very fast, I was in the pavilion next door, the 8”, he recalls.
:: SP Justice maintains annulment of police conviction for Carandiru massacre ::
For Cruz, impunity is the wound that remains open after 29 years. “The massacres continue, (Wilson) Witzel, (João) Dória and (Jair) Bolsonaro are there to show that the practice of extermination is still alive”, explains the rapper.
“In this country, there is a project for the genocide of the black population, which is expressed mainly through the murder of black youth,” said Milton Barbosa, Founder of the Unified Black Movement (MNU).
Barbosa, from the MNU, recalled that the episode cannot be explained without the understanding that it is “a policy of the Brazilian State”.
“It was an act of barbarism that is part of the genocide project. At that time, we were already questioning the number, there were 243 people and not 111. We have to meet here in São Paulo, in Rio de Janeiro, in Porto Alegre and many other places. There is a genocide project underway,” says Barbosa.
Edition: Vivian Virissimo